Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Dragons and Fairy Tales

I love Saturdays.  I hope this is a great Saturday for you.


Darwin the Dragon


Darwin was a dragon
Who wouldn’t go to school
He didn’t play with fire--
He thought it wasn’t cool.

Darwin didn’t want to learn
To roar a scorching flame
He couldn’t burn an angry red.
He was very tame.

He wanted just to sing
To be like all the birds
But then the other dragons
Thought Darwin was a nerd.

He didn’t scare the knight
That he was told to slay
Instead he kicked a soccer ball
And asked the knight to play.

All that Darwin wanted
Was a garden he might tend,
So dragons could paint flowers
And share them with their friends.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Joy,

    Clever! I enjoy reading your poems.

    May I share this one with my kindergarten and first grade students? I'm a school counselor and we're studying decision making. This is a terrific one for that and for friendship skills.

    Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete