Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Silly verse

Laura Lean
skinny and mean
thinnest girl
I've ever seen.
She weighs so little,
she floats on air.
Watch her rise
from her chair.
Off she floats,
who knows where
is skinny Laura Lean.


     This poem is written in something I call Poetry Obscura.  I started with a nursery rhyme and wrote the opposite word, then I revised, edited and shaped the poem. Can you guess the nursery rhyme I started with?  It was Humpty Dumpty.  Try writing your own poem by starting with a familiar nursery rhyme and then translate the poem to its opposite.  It is fun to try this and you'll never run out of ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment