Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Desert Couplet

Everyone hides from this broiling desert sun,

Tarantula, snake, lizard, and scorpion.



       A couplet is two lines, a pair or couple.  It brings together two things for a complete thought.  Although it doesn't have to be, most couplets are rhyming.  The challenge for the poet is to make the brief lines worthy of notice.  Basically what a couplet does is notice a moment and to say this matters and this matters. 
The animals I list are all from the desert around my house.  What animals are around your home?  What is the weather or the terrain like?  Can you put them together to write your own couplet?  Try several of them.

2 comments:

  1. Joy,

    I like the sound of your rhyme using scorpion and sun. It stays with me.

    What interesting surroundings you have. :0

    Linda A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda,
    Hey, I just looked at this couplet and hadn't realized that I had put 2 s's in dessert in the couplet. What a hoot! I must have been really busy when I posted that. The title has it spelled the right was. You put two s's when you want the dessert that gets you fat, like ice cream, cake or pie. But if you want the barren kind of desert, where hardly anything grows use only one s.
    I've fixed my mistake so you don't have to see my really red face.

    ReplyDelete