Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Riding

I've ridden a horse
in Colorado.
I've ridden a burro
in old Mexico.

I've ridden a buffalo
across the plains.
I've ridden a elephant
 at a zoo in Des Plains.

I've ridden a reindeer
across the Ukraine.
I've ridden a camel
'cross sand in Bahrain.

But the best way to ride,
that I like,
is to pedal around
on my two wheel bike.


      Think about all the ways that you move and transport yourself.  Can you make a list of the many transportation vehicles you've been on or in.  Have you ridden in a car, a train, a bus, a plane?  How about a wagon?  Can you write a poem about it?  Where did you travel to?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Joy! You've had some terrific experiences. This poem could be the basis for a humorous picture book. Kids would love the scenes.

    I've never ridden in a covered wagon, but a wagon train stayed overnight on our family land when our sons were young. The wagon train was headed west.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I haven't done all of these things--except in my poems. Remember, a poet's first responsibility is to write a good poem. So, I get to make up all kinds of experiences for my poems. That is why a good imagination is so valuable for a poet.

    ReplyDelete