Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Monday, March 19, 2012

haiku two

rain in the desert
tall agave flower spikes
stretch toward the sky

      It has been raining off and on all day--something rare in Tucson.  I think the agave grew 2 feet in the last 24 hours.  The spike must be 10 to 12 feet high.  There are flower buds all along the spine and I can hardly wait for them to bloom so I can see what that spike looks like in bloom and to find out if it perfumes.  
     I thought about spelling the first word of the first line reign, but I think it works better this way.  What do you think?
    This is a traditional American haiku--the form students are taught in school with a 5-7-5 pattern of 5 syllables in the first line, 7 syllables in the second and 5 syllables in the last line.  That should provide you with a strong clue how to pronounce "agave," ( a-gav-ee ).  Haiku should also have a season word in the poem.  Which word (or words) tell you what season it is?

 The challenge for today is to write your own haiku about where you live.  Please feel free to share your haiku in the comments section below.  I wish you a fun day writing.

1 comment:

  1. Joy,
    I look forward to a picture of this plant in bloom. Then we'll have a before and after rain. Does the stalk droop when the blossoms die? Maybe we could see that too? I'm getting a nature lesson from Arizona and my dear friend, Joy.

    ReplyDelete