Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Monday, January 6, 2014

MOUSE






I am a
little gray mouse
living in my
little bread house.
I scurry round 
on little feet
looking for
some cheese 
to eat.


      What do you know about mice?  Does your classroom or science lab have a pet mouse?  At the San Diego Zoo they used to have mice in their children's area that lived in a loaf of bread.  Each week they'd put a new loaf in with the mice and it was always fun to watch the mice make the bread their home.
      There are lots of different kinds of mice.  You can find out more about them here .
The Sand Diego Zoo has information about Pacific Pocket mice, an endangered species they are trying to save.  And you might enjoy watching this video of mice

    If you were a little mouse, what would you do?  Where would you hide? 
    If you had a mouse for a pet, what would the two of you do together?
Can you write a poem about mice today?  Have fun being mouschievious.  That is a word I made up from mouse and mischievous.  What do you think the word means?

1 comment:

  1. Joy,
    I believe you're feeling a bit mouschievious today! Love your new word! This is such a fun poem and certainly one children would enjoy. I hope other animals will share about their houses, their habits, etc. What a great set of nursery rhymes this would make!

    Linda A.

    ReplyDelete