Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Crocodile

A young man from Montreal,
liked to play with his basketball.
He'd dribbled along the banks of the Nile
and lost himself in a crocodile.
Now the only thing to see
is that ball 
wedged in a tree
and a smile
on the crocodile.

  Oh my, it has been a crazy day.  My sister just telephoned and said, "Do you know you haven't posted a poem for today?"
   I didn't know, until she reminded me.  So then I sat down to write, and of course, I came up blank.  I opened my rhyming dictionary and started to write a limerick, but this ended up as a rhyming couplets instead.  I apologize, this is what you get for today.  
  I've included two geographical locations in my poem.  Can you write a poem that includes the name of your home town?  Have fun writing.  See you tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. Joy,
    No apologies necessary. I loved this one! Maybe it could be a jump rope chant or a basketball dribble drill. I hope you'll write about people from other places. You've seen many. Will you give it a try?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I hadn't thought about a jump rope chant. I'll have ot work on more of those.

      Delete
  2. But, of course. I was thinking about that today after a comment Joanne Marple made to Susanna Hill about how she did riskier things when she was younger. It made me think about the freight train I hopped when I was 19. I can't believe I did that. I certainly would never even be in a situation where I even had that opportunity now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a cute poem. I don't know how you can come up with new poems every (or nearly every) day.

    ReplyDelete