Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

DOTS



I am the dot
in the polka-dot.
I am the spot
on your dog.
I am the round typanum
you can find on a frog.

   I wrote this poem because I liked the phrase, dot in the polka dot.  Lately that is how I've been feeling, one among a mass of similar looking spots.  I wondered what I could do to make myself stand out in the crowd.  Then this morning I found out that the author of Spot the Dog books, Eric Hill had died.  When my youngest was 4 years old we would sing, "Spot, Spot, wonderful Spot.  Sometimes he's good and sometimes he's not." The theme song to the British TV series. My son named our Welsh Springer Spaniel SPOT.  He is now 15 years old, and still occasionaly sings--a trick my son taught him.
     So then my poem became about round things.  What are some round things you can think of?  Can you add another verse to this silly poem?  Have fun writing.

1 comment:

  1. Joy's poetry hits the spot
    like a glass of lemonade
    when the temperature's hot.


    ReplyDelete