Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Friday, September 19, 2014

FIVE ACORNS

ONE acorn
called out, "Wheeeeee!"
as he fell
from the oak tree.

TWO acorns
bet the ranch
as they flipped
from a branch.

THREE acorns
called out, "Hark!"
as they jumped
from the bark.

FOUR acorns
rolled on their rims
as they landed
from tree limbs.

FIVE acorns
fell on their knees
as they landed
under the leaves.

They each broke open
a hard shell
and slept through winter
very well.

They set down roots
in the cold hard ground
and grew up leaves
when spring came around.


   I do enjoy writing counting poems, and this one lets you know a little bit about an oak tree and all its parts.  Would you like to try acting out this poem? Can you try writing your own counting poem today?  Have fun writing.

   The Poetry Friday roundup is hosted by Amy Ludwig Vanderwater today over at The Poetry Farm http://www.poemfarm.amylv.com/   Thanks, Amy for your beautiful poem today.  The poem is a great hug.

14 comments:

  1. I want to be a preschool teacher right now, just to play with this one. I love these kinds of rhymes, and at this time of year always have the pumpkin one in my head. Now I will have two! This week I took a handful of photos of a handful of acorns...they are so magical. Happy Poetry Friday, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I'm visiting in Chapel Hill this weekend and I just took my host's dog Willow for a walk around the house. To my delight, I found several large acorns. It does seem like magic to hold them in my hand. Gosh, I wonder if we could do a retelling of Jack in the Beanstalk and use acorns. I'm thinking of all sorts of ways to change the story. Instead of a golden goose, it must be a golden squirrel.

      Delete
  2. Joy,
    This is a great way to teach tree parts and have fun counting too. I can see little acorns jumping at the chance to role play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't ACORN be a fun word to write an acrostic poem to?
      We can jump together and yell, "Wheeeeeeeee!"

      Delete
    2. Joy,
      Like Mexican jumping beans--acorns announcing fall! Fun!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Ah, come on--you know I'm a nut. Writing children's poems is so much fun.

      Delete
  4. Those acorns sound like they're having too much fun! :) We have a lot of acorns on our property every year. The deer and squirrels are very well fed! Cute counting poem, Joy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute idea, Joy. Thanks for sharing this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your wonderful creativity, Joy. I will miss you at the workshop. You write about so many delightful things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carry on for me Linda. I know you will have a great time with David Harrison's Poetry Workshop.

      Delete
  7. Very fun! I can see children loving it and acting it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Crystal. I always enjoy when a poem allows little bodies to get up and move. Three and four year olds can be so expressive.

      Delete