Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Sunday, December 21, 2014

ZEBRA

copyright 2014, Joy Acey

copyright 2014, Joy Acey

running and bucking
black and white zebras grazing
race African plains


   I saw two kinds of zebras in Kenya--the plains zebra and Grevy's.  The plains zebra can have a white belly and white inside their legs.  The Grevy's has narrower stripes and the stripes cover all of the animal.  A zebra is an equid--member of the horse family.  This haiku is about the zebras.  Can you write a haiku about one of the African animals?  Have fun writing.

4 comments:

  1. I am learning a lot about animals through this series of poems. I had no idea there were two kinds of zebras, and I had never heard of or seen a Gerenuk. Thanks for these posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually there are three kinds of zebras. The third are mountain zebras, but I didn't get to see those in Kenya.

      Delete
  2. Love a zebra. Giraffes and zebras have great attire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, and it was fun to learn to try to identify the different animals by their coats. Thanks Linda.

      Delete