Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

STONES

     For some reason, writing the stone triplets has been difficult.  What do you do when you are having problems with your poems?


Island earth, an atoll
with many stones
rocks tumble, rocks roll.

Stones low
deep in the canyon
water rushing, ebb and flow.

Rocks high
in our mountains
challenge climbers, eagles fly.

Rocks glow sometimes bright
in hidden caves
stalactites, and stalagmites.

Rocks blow
erupt in the sky
when volcanoes go.


   And now for one more FIRE triplet.  I heard a phrase and told myself I hadn't written a fire poem using the phrase--and then all the sudden in three days, I heard the phrase three more times.  Once on the radio, once in the book I was reading and then on TV.  There is a psychological term for suddenly noticing yourself surrounded by something.  Like buying new jeans and then noticing that lots of people have new jeans. Now I'm going to have to do some more research to see if I can find that word.  Oh well, here is the FIRE poem:

Fire fibs
pants on fire
Liar. Liar.

Your poetry challenge for today is to take a chant or nursery rhyme and write it as a triplet.

Large egg
falls from wall
broken Humpty.

Bridge falls down
London aghast
gold and silver for all.

   I hope you have fun with this challenge.  I'm going to.

1 comment:

  1. I liked the haiku about volcanoes erupting. I don't always picture that rocks blow. And yet I know they do. That's a great image.

    ReplyDelete