Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

BASKETBALL

Bring the ball in
And dribble up court.
Shoot at the top of the
Key.  Keep your
Eye on 
The rim.  See the
Ball swish
All the way.
Let the score show 2 more.
Leap in excitement. 
  
      Today's poem is an acrostic.  Can you try writing your own acrostic for your favorite sport?  Enjoy.
   

2 comments:

  1. Joy,
    I'm curious. Do you think of the topic or the type of poem first? The old "chicken or the egg" question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for asking, Linda. The topic, story, end line usually come first for me. I have one heck of a time when I set out to write a sonnet. Or I decide I'd like to write some specified form. Then my mind goes crazy and freezes.
    I had spent all Saturday afternoon watching basketball games and knew I wanted to write a basketball poem. But when I couldn't figure out what to write and how to organize the information, the acrostic supplied the structure I needed to come up with something.

    ReplyDelete