Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Modern Haiku

the ancient path blooms
     buttercups, bluets,
          pots of gold







      These flowers aren't blooming yet, but still my eyes crave their color.  I love the delicate purpley-blue color of bluets.  They have long thin stems.  And the name of the yellow clumps of flowers--pots of gold.  It is like the person who named them stumbled upon a treasure.  Do you have a friend you would call a pot of gold?  Someone who is a great treasure to you?  Maybe these are flowers found at the end of a rainbow.  Can you write your own poem about pots of gold?  Have fun thinking and being creative.
      This poem is a modern haiku because it doesn't stick with the traditional 5-7-5 syllable pattern.  The season is in there though.  What season do you think this poem represents?  And what meaning do you think is in "the ancient path"? 
      I'm going to get out my water colors and see if I can paint a picture to go with my poem, perhaps you'd like to try that with your poem too.  Have fun.

1 comment:

  1. Joy,
    You have me wanting to walk the path with you to search for nature's pot of gold.

    ReplyDelete