Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Howler Monkey

A red howler monkey
stretches, sways
lazes in the tree tops
and brays
a loud howl.

    On my recent trip to the Rain-forest, I had the opportunity to see two howler monkeys--this red howler and a night howler.  The monkeys get their name from the loud howling noises they make. 
     Have you ever written a poem about monkeys?  Today is a great day to try writing a monkey poem.

3 comments:

  1. Joy,
    How about a family of howlers, wouldn't they be noisy neighbors? Worse yet, a red howler family on the right and a night howler family on the left. There goes the neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red cardinals in a tree.
    Red monkeys in a tree.
    Red flowers on a tree.
    Red ladybugs on a tree.
    Red lace on a dress.
    Going out tonight is my guess.

    I'm glad you were able to go to the rainforest. Thanks for sharing your wonderful pictures. What kind of camera did you use? I hope your husband's father is doing better.

    Love, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this one, Joy, and I will show the teachers I am working with tomorrow (topic: rainforest)

    ReplyDelete