Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

School Picture

School picture
first grade,
Mother had me wear
a starched white blouse
and a pleated skirt.
She pinned her Dutch girls 
at my neck.
The night before
I had difficulty sleeping,
the hard curlers
cut into my head
trying to make pipe curls
of my stubborn hair.
"Remember to smile,"
my mother said.
"And if it's a good photo
we'll send it to your grandmother."

     Why is it we are told to smile for photographs?  Why do we dress up?  What are some other occasions you have to dress up for?  Can you write a poem about one of those occasions?  Do have fun.  Use your imagination and make up an event.  Tell us what you'll wear.

2 comments:

  1. Joy,

    No More INGs

    There's dress up and dressing up--
    One's child's play
    The other, child's torture.
    How can adding "ing"
    take the fun out of it for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, Linda.
    I'll try to remember.
    Me, I'm much more into the dress up than dressing up,
    and for that matter, why do we need the up?
    Of course a salad without the dressing is pretty boring.

    ReplyDelete