Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Friday, May 24, 2013

WHEELS ON THE ROAD

The wheels on the car,
squish, squish
thump, thump
over the hot tar road.

The wheels on the pick up truck
squish, squish
bump,bump
over the macadam road.

The wheels on the dump truck
squish, squish
rattle, rattle
over the gravel road.

The wheels on the semi truck
squish, squish
swish, swish
over the highway road.

The wheels on the bus
squish, squish
jump, jump
over the wet, black road.

All the vehicles
come and go, come and go
splashing, bouncing
rolling over all our roads.


  There were a lot of cars out on my morning walk, and this is what I came up with.  If you're a fan of THE WHEELS ON THE BUS, you might see some similarities, except I'm going with different vehicles; and all of the tires go squish, squish.  Do you have an idea why?

   Now stick with me here.  I jumped from this idea to how I could take the same cadence of WHEELS, to my pet turtle.

MY PET TURTLE

The head on my turtle,
ducks right in,
ducks right in,
ducks right in.
The head on my turtle,
ducks right in,
hiding in his shell.

Can you see how the verses for the feet and tail might follow?  Now, jump back to a child going to bed.

GOING TO BED

The toes on my feet
tuck right in,
tuck right in,
tuck right in.
The toes on my feet
tuck right in
to my snugly bed.

  Then you could move to:
the feet on my legs, the knees on my legs, the shins on my legs, the thighs on my legs-- you name a body part and it can be tucked into bed.  And if a child doesn't want to go to sleep he could keep you going all night thinking of body parts to tuck into bed.

  So, here is your challenge--think of an object--animal, mineral, or vegetable, and write your own short verse using this repetitive cadence.  Have fun with this, you can be as weird and bizarre as you choose.  Just WRITE, and have fun with poetry.

5 comments:

  1. Fun exercise, Joy. Can't help but singing along to the last two poems. Like the rhythm and onomatopoiea in the first poem :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jama, thanks for hosting today. Hope you are singing all day.

      Delete
  2. Great exercise, Joy! I'm writing a series of action poems for every letter of the alphabet - this will be a great way to jumpstart my brain when I get stuck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all those different tires in the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the different sounds on the the different types of roads. Fun poem! =)

    ReplyDelete