Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, October 8, 2015

RIDING THE BUS

I got on the bus
and what I saw 
was quite curious.
There was a man, 
most studious,
working on an abacus.
Another man 
read Leviticus
while a frivolous woman
was hacking, 
her poor esophagus.
I saw a small boy
with a marvelous toy blunderbuss
next to him was a kid carrying
a jar with a phosphorous octopus.
You probably think this is ludicrous,
but I thought it was most marvelous.
Riding the bus
can be quite hilarious.

     I'm going crazy and having fun writing poetry.  Have you ever tried to do one of those math problems that say how many people got on and how many got off a bus at each stop? 

A bus with 10 riders is going down Main Street.
The bus stops at Green Street and two people get off and three get on.
The bus stops at Market Street and five people get off and six get on.
How many people are on the bus?

Then at the end you're supposed to be able to figure out how many people are still on the bus?  Sometimes it is a trick question because you forgot to count the bus driver, so your answer is off by one person.

That was what I was thinking about while I was writing this poem.  Have you ridden a bus?  Were there different kinds of people on your bus?  I couldn't think what to write a poem about today, so I opened my rhyming dictionary randomly and was on the "us" page with lots of delicious possibilities.  Do you want to try?  Find a rhyming dictionary and open it to any page and see what words jump out and just beg to be in your poem.  Listen to them and have fun writing. 

I will think happy thoughts today, making my own good day and a good day for others.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you indeed had a lot of fun with this poem. Some wonderful words here -- blunderbuss and phosphorous octopus -- you just don't see that in too many poems. What can I say but fabulous -- but I do know a platypus who wants in. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The platypus was there but he stopped at the bakery to get some bread. Maybe you could share your bread with the platypus. You have a great post today at http://jamarattigan.com/2015/10/09/review-author-chat-giveaway-pat-zietlow-miller-on-sharing-the-bread/

      Delete