Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

HAIKU



off and on, all day
rain falls, misting old mountains
ducks waddle to greet me

   Yesterday I got to play with my water colors again.  I had so much fun.  I wrote this haiku and when I first wrote it, I used "the mountains" in the middle line.  But since haiku is about packing a lot of information in, I look at my thes and a s to see if I can change it to a word which will tell more.  When I did that, I changed the mountains to old mountains.  Today, as I was typing the poem for this blog post, I saw I had used past tense and quickly changed my verb to present tense to make the poem more immediate.  Haiku should be in present tense.  So, I changed my fell to falls.  That is much better. I really do enjoy playing with the words and tinkering with the order of them.  For your poetry challenge for today, can you take out one of your old poems and give it another look?  Is there anything you want to change?  I feel like my poetry skills are always growing and if I look again at a poem a wrote more than a year ago, I can find things I can make better.  It is so much fun for me.  I hope you have fun looking at your poem with your eyes of today.  Enjoy poem making.

To bless or to make prosperous in Hawaiian is e hoomaikai.  But to be strong is hoomaika.  Only one letter is different between the two words.  I hope your poetry is strong today and that the words come making you prosperous and blessed.

Creativity is a spiritual practice.  It is not something that can be perfected, finished, and set aside. Julia Cameron

No comments:

Post a Comment