Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Sunday, May 1, 2016

HAPPY MAY DAY



Gather some flowers
on the 1st of May.
Make them into
a pretty bouquet.

Knock at your neighbor's
then run away.
As you're going
be sure to say
HAPPY MAY DAY.

   In Hawaii, May Day is celebrated as Lei Day. 

Happy May Day
Happy Lei Day
Here's what I'll do,
I'll gather flowers
to make a lei
for you.

And if you make
one for me too,
then we can exchange
a friendship true.

  Each year on Lei Day the Kauai Museum has a lei competition.  My husband and I went and saw over 50 beautiful leis. 



The top lei is made with bougainvillea and fern, the bottom one gets it's teal color from jade plant.

Aren't these beautiful?

The middle lei included rose buds.

These leis were entered in the purple/blue category.


Leis in the white category.







There were leis for your hat.


Of course there was hula dancing to celebrate the holiday.
And,

singing and ukulele playing.  It was a wonderful day.  I hope you have a great Lei Day.

   Can you write a poem about your favorite flower today?

Gather ye rosebuds while ye may... Robert Herrick

1 comment:

  1. I loved the displays here and the poem too. I know I'm late to respond, but beauty is timeless! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete