Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

LATCH KEY

Around my neck
on a greying shoelace
rides my house key.

You call me Latch Key
and your lip curls
like I'm a wet dog
you don't want in your living room.

I must go straight home.
Can't make after-school plans.
Can't have friends over.
Can't go out.

I surely can't go over to your house
because I'd never be able
to return the invitation.

So I do my homework,
read a book,
color and wait
for someone
to come home.


     What do you do after school?  Do you have sports--tennis, soccer, swimming?  Do you have meetings like boy scouts or brownies, or girl scouts?  Do you have music lessons or some other activity?  For today's poetry challenge can you write a poem about what you do after school.  This is a free verse poem.  It doesn't rhyme.  You can make your poem in a form or free verse.  It's your choice.  I've also used a simile in this poem.  Can you find it?  Just have fun writing.

3 comments:

  1. Joy,
    This one is a great one for teachers and counselors to use in class. I will pass it on to a counselor friend. Poetry is a great way to introduce tough topics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for passing this poem on. If it helps kids talk about their feelings, what could be better? Sometimes it is very hard to get kids to talk about what is really important to them.

      Delete
  2. Joy... Really good. Ily cloey

    ReplyDelete