Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

THE EARTH CRACKED OPEN: A Lament



I opened my mouth
and tasted the sky.
I opened my heart
and heard birds cry.

Their conversations
were noisy and deep.
In many tongues,
I heard them weep.

The earth is changing.
It's no longer the best.
We birds can't find
a good place to nest.

Temperature is rising.
Can't take the heat.
Like canaries in coal mines
birds die in the street.

Bees leave the hive.
They're in another zone.
Ask how we can do this
to the place we call home.

     A lament is a poem expressing grief or sorrow.  It is a poem of mourning.  I wrote this poem on Earth Day last week.  I'm very concerned about what we are doing to care for our planet, even though I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.  I garden and recycle.  What are some things you do to care for our land and oceans?  Can you write a love poem today to the earth?  Have fun brainstorming and then writing your poem.

Me ka mahalo nui.   
With deep gratitude. 

 What can you do to show your 
gratitude to the earth?

5 comments:

  1. I like this, Joy. As they say, there's no Planet B -- this is the only one we've got. We should treat it like the precious resource it is. Have you seen the Planet Earth II videos? They really make you appreciate the wonders to be found on our home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tabatha. I too liked the Earth Day posters of "No Planet B."
      Thank you for leaving a comment and suggesting the Planet Earth II videos.

      Delete
  2. Dear Joy,
    Indeed we need to take care of this earth. I love reading your poems and seeing your illustrations. You add a spark of hope and beauty to our world. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just one little candle, but as Buddha said in his last words, "Make yourself light."
      You too add beauty and encouragement. Blessings, dear friend.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete