Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Monday, May 11, 2015

POETRY

Poetry and I
play idea tug-of-war
strong lines are shaping.

I lasso a word
then I set it free once more
I will try again.

The right word tickles
my hand tingles and itches
I must write words down.

I take up my pen 
dash words across my paper
to write this poem.

    Since this poem is about writing poetry, it can be called ars poetica--a Latin word meaning the art of poetry.  Each stanza is written in the linked haiku form using renga popularized by the Japanese master Matsua Basho.  Can you try writing your own haiku or ars poetica today?  Have fun.

4 comments:

  1. I love that the right word tickles! I also like the tug-of-war and lasso images. Maybe the entire poem could be based on one or the other of these metaphors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. And I was thinking of adding more stanzas with other metaphors.

      Delete
  2. I like the lasso image! What a perfect way to think about trying to catch just the right word and not giving up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tabatha.
      Yesterday I was thinking about walking into a poem and rubbing the words against my body. I shook hands with a few of them. I never know what I'll find with I get inside with the words of a poem.

      Delete