Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, December 6, 2012

I WROTE A POEM TODAY

Woot! Woot! 
Ya-hoo! Yay!
I want to say
I wrote a poem
for you today.

I feel so good.
I want to sing.
My little heart
beats ting-ting-ting.

Eeee-haw!  
What about you?
Wouldn't you like
to write one too?


     I've been too busy lately and when it came to writing a poem for today, my mind was all in a whirr.  Do you ever feel like that?  There were just too many directions I could go.  Too many ideas in my head.  Too many things I could write poems about, and I wasn't happy with any of them.  So I started to write a poem about how I couldn't write a poem; but when I'd gotten done, I had written a poem.  So I started over with a poem to celebrate the poem I'd written.  I like this poem a lot more.  I like celebrations.  How about you?
     Do you think you could call this poem an ODE?  An ode is a poem in praise of nature, public figures, or events.* I think this poem is in praise of writing a poem, so I can classify it as an ode.

  *Definition taken from A POET'S GUIDE TO POETRY, by Mary Kinzie, University of Chicago Press, copyright 1999, page 441.

    Today's challenge is to write a poem.  Do you want to write your own ode in praise of something?  Do have fun.

2 comments:

  1. Celebrate! A poem a day deserves to be celbrated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should write an Ode to Linda who constantly gives me encouragement, support and great ideas for writing poems.
    thanks for all your help.

    ReplyDelete