Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Friday, July 24, 2015

ODE TO PIRATE BART

Pirate Bart had an artificial leg
finely crafted of stainless steel
and when he strode upon the ship's wood deck
his leg made a loud sounding peel.

So when the seas would gently roll
he'd shift his weight and tap, tap, tap.
But in the cold, foul weather of high seas
his leg shook to tip-tap, tip-tap, tip-tap.

One night the rains were bucketing down hard,
the waves were over the boat's sides
and lightning struck Pirate Bart's leg of steel
and pitched him out into the tides.

Bart was caught in Neptune's watery grip
as from this world he bravely rode
while sailors stood at the side of his ship
to hear his taps of Morse code.

   An ode is a poem of praise. I guess this could also be called an elegy which is a poem about death, but the elegy is supposed to have a serious tone and that doesn't fit for this humorous poem.  I'm still playing with this poem. I thought about capturing the thought of the leg rusting but I haven't got it yet.  That may be another poem completely.
   Your poetry challenge for today is to write your own ode--a poem in praise of something or someone.

A good children's poem starts with a good story. 

 Today's Poetry Friday Roundup is hosted by Margaret Simon at Reflections on the Teche.  You can find more poetry by jumping over to her blog.  Thanks, Margaret for hosting us. 

11 comments:

  1. Wow, this is very creative! Is this a modern day pirate with a stainless steel leg? Does stainless steel rust? Pirates are popular. Maybe you have a picture book pirate here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I was having fun working on the meter for this one.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Was the end a surprise for you? Glad you got a half laugh out of this crusty old guy. Thank you for leaving a comment, Rebecca.

      Delete
  3. Poor Bart, and very funny, Joy. You caught me well with that ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I appreciate your letting me know.

      Delete
  4. Very fun! I knew something was going to go wrong with that leg as soon as you described it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been working on my classroom and I found a poem/story you sent to me for a summer poem swap. So fun to find this gift again. Your pirate ode is hilarious. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting the Poetry Friday Round UP, Margaret.

      Delete
  6. Fun one., Joy! I look forward to seeing where you go with this.

    ReplyDelete