Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Food Poem

MY WISH

I wish I was a muffin
all plump in pleated cup,
I'd wear sweet sugar crumbles
on my brown domed muffin top.
I'd give you muffin hugs and kisses
as you eat me up.

If you could be a food,any food, what would you be?
Would you be yummy like a peanut butter sandwich or exotic as escargot? Write a poem about it and you're sure to include a metaphor or simile. Try to use all your senses.

This poem came after reading Madeleine L'Engle's Newbery Medal Acceptance Speech for A Wrinkle in Time.. She included the words, “making muffins of us,” and maybe it was the alliteration of those m's or the consonance of the double f in muffins followed so closely by the f in of but all of the sudden I wanted to say muffin, muffin, muffin and feel those words in my mouth.

Have fun writing your poem and experiencing words in your mouth. Have a yummy time.

No comments:

Post a Comment