Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day

Thank You, Daddy

Thanks for giving me a hand
to pull up when I crawled.

Thanks for hoisting me
on your shoulders
so I could feel tall.

Thanks for teaching me
how to ride a bike,
and how to hit the baseball.
Thanks for asking me questions
that really made me think.

Thanks for the movies, the libraries,
the museums, galleries and parks
you took me to.

Thanks Daddy, for all the things
you do to help me grow
to be the kind of person 
I want to be--
like you.



     As we celebrate this great holiday, we focus on fathers.It is a chance to tell the men in our lives how important they are to us.  My own father-in-law is in an acute rehabilitation hospital and so I think of him as I write this poem.  Can you try writing an acrostic poem for your father?  It is a great day for being thankful.
    Publishers Lee and Low have a whole collection of father poems In Daddy's Arms, I Am Tall, collected by Javaka Steptoe.    My friend Lenard Moore has a poem in this collection.  www.leeandlow.com/p/daddy_tg.mhtml


1 comment:

  1. Joy,

    You must really love your father-in-law. How sweet!

    Linda A.

    ReplyDelete