Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Silly Rhyme

A plumed cockatoo
perched high in bamboo
caused quite a to do
by squawking yoo-hoo, yoo-hoo,
to each gnu and caribou
that she saw pass
below in the grass.

     Do you ever have days when you just feel like being silly?  That's how I feel today.  I don't even know where this poem came from. It probably isn't fair to call this a poem, just the beginnings of one, that I'll probably want to play with more later.   I do know that these words jumbled into my mouth and it felt pretty good to tickle around with them.  They set up a rhythm that had my feet marching and I had a hard time getting out.  So I invite you to be silly today too.  Find some words that you like the feel of in your mouth and see what comes out. Just play with the words and have fun.  You might want to grab a rhyming dictionary and find a random page that appeals to your mouth or eyes and see what happens.  I own 6 different rhyming dictionaries and some days I just like reading these books.  I hope you have a day filled reading, writing and laughter.

3 comments:

  1. fun! I should try this some day....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy,
    What if you continue with--said the gnu to the cockatoo...
    Then of course the caribou chimes in too with...

    I love that you're having fun being silly. Thanks for letting kids see that that's okay. Even this little bit of silly time was fun for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY....

    happy 29th birthday

    ILY

    ReplyDelete