Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

FRIENDS

Joe is a girafee.
Tom is a turtle.

"Come on friend,
Let's go play,"
said Joe.

"Oh, NO!
We cannot
be friends," said Tom.

"Ridiculous.
Why can't we be friends?"
asked Joe.
"I want to know."

"Because you're so tall
and I'm so small
way down here below,"
said Tom.

"Ridiculous,"
repeated Joe.

"You like to eat acacia leaves
high up on acacia trees.
You're so big, you frighten me,"
said Tom pulling into his shell.

"RIDICULOUS!"

"You walk fast
and gallop as you go.
I toddle along.
Turtles go s-l-o-w."

"Ridiculous, I don't think so," said Joe.

"Oh yes," said Tom.
"With four long legs
you're fast when you flee,
and I worry.
You might kick me.
Oh NO!  Friends--
we can never be."

"Hmmmm," thought Joe.
"Let me see.  If I can find
one thing that is the same,
will you then
play a game?"

"I guess, maybe.
But what can that be?
I'm asking you, Joe
with your head
in that tree."

"Tom, that's it," said Joe.
"How we're the same,
I think I know.
I stick out my neck 
to get these acacia leaves.
I'll drop some down
for you to see.
Now you can eat along with me.

"But you, little turtle,
must stick out your neck too,
to eat the leaves
I've dropped for you."

"For being good friends
takes more than kisses and pecks
it requires
sticking out our necks."

     This is very new, and very rough, but I'm having fun working on a drawing to go with it which is fun for me too.  I'll continue to do some editing and polishing. There are a lot of reversed rhymes, and I'm going to have to work to get rid of these forced rhymes.   This started because I was having fun saying, ridiculous.  And I knew I wanted to use the word. 
    Can you write your own poem today based upon a single word like ridiculous, shucks, gosh, yes, no, or another word?  Have fun.

2 comments:

  1. Very very clever... ILY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy,
    Repeating "ridiculous" made it work. So glad it got stuck in your head.

    ReplyDelete