Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Monday, June 15, 2015

ONE HOT SUMMER 7

Will the monsoons ever come?
Will I see lightning?
Will I hear thunder?
Once more?

Yes, the monsoons will come.
But now it is summer.
Doves coo and 
the elf owl hoots a sweet lullaby
to sing you to sleep.
Listen.


Hush now,
sleep,
the monsoons have come.
Raindrops splash
against your window.
Cracks of lightning shine
in the sky,
and everything is cool
and green,
once more.

    So, there you have it.  Everyone is waiting for the monsoon season to begin again.  I hope you have enjoyed working your way through a week's worth of waiting for the monsoons.  
       I did want to share the headline from yesterday's newspaper with you.  In Tucson, we really do wait for the monsoons to come.

This poem is inspired by NOW IT IS WINTER, written by Eileen Spinelli.  The ending to her story is very different from mine.  Her's is very elegant.  Please read her book to see how it makes a great mentor poem.  I hope my ending makes sense.  
      Now for your poetry challenge.  Look at poems you like and find what you think is a good end line.  Now make that line the first line for your own poem.  Have fun writing.

Writing Children's Poetry is the best place 
I know to play.

4 comments:

  1. Joy,
    Well done! Bravo! The long awaited monsoon has arrived. I like that it took a week in your series. Good use of time. Doves cooing and the elf owl hooting a sweet lullaby was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I'm glad that you enjoyed this one. I can hardly wait to get going on the revisions and polishing of this long poem. I'd really like to be able to have this as a book to share with little ones who want to know more about the desert.
      A great deal of the credit goes to Eileen Spinelli for the inspiration. If you haven't read her picture book NOW IT IS WINTER, it is something wonderful to experience.

      Delete
  2. Joy,
    I'll look for Eileen Sinelli's PB called "Now it is Winter." She inspired you, but you made a story of your own. I love the desert setting and all this helps children to experience. Best wishes to you on your PB that is now a completed first draft ready for revision. Keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice poem children can learn much from this poem......
    commodity tips free trial

    ReplyDelete