Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

ONE HOT SUMMER

Will monsoons ever come?
Will clouds umbrella over the sun
to make shade?
Will they drift into my dreams
like cool dew drops over my pillow?
Will the rains come?

Yes, the monsoons will come.
But now it is summer.
Now the sunlight blazes.
Heat ripples off the pavement.

The morning sun glares
when I pull my covers
over my head.
The birds hide in holes
in ancient Saguaros.
They lift their wings
to say hello.

     This poem is inspired by NOW IT IS WINTER, written by Eileen Spinelli,  Her picture book was illustrated by Mary Newell DePalma, published by Eerdmans Books for Young Readers, copyright 2004. 
    What things do you like to do in summer?  Can you pick one of your favorites and write a poem about it?  Why is that your favorite summer thing to do?  Have fun writing.


If more people read children's poetry the world would be a better place.

4 comments:

  1. Joy,
    I love that your reading inspired this poem series about the desert! I especially enjoyed that lifted wings were a "hello."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I have 7 days of these desert poems that sart with the "Will the monsoons come?" We get so hot that we all wait for the rains to cool us off. Once I have all 7 done, I'll look to see what repeats I have, what I didn't get in, and if I have all five senses covered. BIG project. I'm having so much fun with this. Thanks for being there with me.

      Delete
    2. Love your poems and have always look forward to desert poems. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. What a poem you posted superb I liked it a lot ..........Business analyst jobs

    ReplyDelete