Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, April 4, 2013

WHAT IS POETRY?

WHAT IS POETRY?

Out of the quarrel with others we make rhetoric; out of the quarrel with ourselves we make poetry.--W. B. Yeats
 
What is poetry?
It is finding the truth, no need to lie.
It's munching on watermelon and letting seeds fly.

It's a letter that comes with a card in the mail.
It's the lacy silver threads left by a garden snail. 

It's daffodil trumpets covering the hill.
It's a deer at the creek, drinking her fill.




     Happy Poetry Month.  Oh, I'm having so much fun.  I do love poetry.  In talking to my sister yesterday, she said, "Your progressive poem looks like so much fun, I wish I could play."  

   So, here is your chance, if you'd like, in the comments, leave your own line or couplet on What is Poetry to you.  Start with It's.... and then fill in the blank.  Have fun.  If you need a day or so to think what you'd like to add, that is fine.  Over the weekend, I'll try to add some of your lines to the poem.

2 comments:

  1. It's a fun idea, Joy. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the buttercup petals licking their lips;
    The licorice candy and lemonade sips.
    Jeanne Poland

    ReplyDelete