Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, May 21, 2015

LANTERNE

SPRING

Sand
cacti
when there's rain
desert blooming
hats.

    Today's poem is a Lanterne and I wouldn't know the term except my friend, children's poet, Matt Forrest challenged me to write four poems in four days and then find four friends to tag and ask them to write poems too.  Except, the last time I did this I had a hard time finding four friends who hadn't already been tapped to write poems.  AND this is Memorial Day weekend.  It is my birthday weekend and I don't want my friends to have to be glued to their computers posting poems when it is going to be a great weekend to be outdoors.
For my birthday, my husband is taking me caving.  Doesn't that sound like fun?  It is something I've never done before and I'm looking forward to it
  But, let's get back to the lanterne, because that is your poetry challenge for today.  Try writing one.  A lanterne is a form of cinquain poem.  It has five lines.  The title can work to make a sixth line for you or go without a title.  The first line has only one syllable, then each successive line adds one more syllable, until you get to the last line which has only one syllable again.  It is called a lanterne because if the poem is set with a certer margin, or centered on the page it looks like a lantern.  Each line should be able to stand on its own.


SPRING

Sand
cacti
when there's rain
desert blooming
hats.

That is a funny looking lantern to me.  I originally ended this poem with the word spring (and I didn't have a title),  but when I went back to edit, I was thinking of the Mother's Day hats that the Saguaro wear--pretty white flowers in a ring on the top.  I like the surprise of the hats at the end because when it rains, people put on hats too.  So there is a layered meaning at the end of the poem.

Line 1 = 1 syllable
Line 2 = 2 syllables
Line 3 = 3 syllables
Line 4 = 4 syllables
Line 5 = 1 syllable

An 11 syllable poem can be tricky.
 
   Now it is your turn.  Will you try writing your own lanterne?  If you want, please post your poem in the comments below.

6 comments:

  1. Cave
    Hidden
    Dark tunnel
    Challenge yourself
    Risk!

    My present to you and to myself! Happy birthday! Happy caving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Great example of the form. I especially like your ending. And thanks for the birthday present. I'm so proud of you.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Joy. Do you think the second line would be better if it were "spooky?"

      I'm not trying to scare you here. I'm sure you'll be safe "as a bug in a rug." Remember that one?

      Delete
    3. Linda, I sat and thought about both spooky and scary as substitutes (for about 5 minutes--which is long for me) and I'd say it is your preference. You know --six of one--I think I'd avoid the spooky because the double oo, takes over the poem. But then again, the ability to elongate that sound might be the thing to make kids want to recite the poem. Either way it is a great poem. I like it a lot.

      Delete
    4. Thanks, Joy. I decided not to state spooky or scary. A reader can decide for themselves. I wouldn't want to turn off anyone wanting to challenge themselves.

      Delete
  2. I had never heard of this form. It's kind of fun. Thanks for telling me about it. As you might guess, I have baseball on my brain.

    Shutout

    Bat
    Baseball
    Pitcher's dream
    No hits, no runs
    Win

    ReplyDelete