Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Capybara





A capybara
rested by the river
watching the waters flow.
He thought about 
going swimming
but he didn't want to go.

A cattle bird sat on his head
eating the ticks and lice.
"Oh thanks," said the capybara,
"that really is quite nice."


     The Capybara is world's largest rodent.  Some call it a giant guinea pig.
This is another picture from my Peruvian trip.  Where are you going for a summer vacation, or where would you like to go?  Write today's poem about that.  And remember you are supposed to be having fun writing your poems.  So, if you don't like my suggestion,write something else.  The important thing is to write early and often.

4 comments:

  1. Joy,
    A summer at home can be quite nice
    when vacations away aren't planned.
    Whether playing in grassy front yards
    or giving grandparents a hand
    at planting, weeding, and picking
    flowers, vegetables or fruits.
    Summers at home can be grand
    when strengthening family roots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poem, Linda
    A staycation poem, the first one I've seen.
    What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy,
    I'm glad you liked my poem. Some kids would give anything to have grandparents close by, even if it meant helping them work. With the tight economy, I thought a staycation poem was a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope to see a capybara someday. I am fascinated by them. Wrote a poem for the Poetry Madness in March: http://deowriter.wordpress.com/2012/03/18/slice-of-life-story-challenge-18-of-19/

    ReplyDelete