Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Monday, May 6, 2013

AT THE BEACH



Today I will
run on the beach.
I'll smile at each
runner I meet.
I'll count each smile
that comes back to me
when I am running
in the sand.

Today I'll listen
to sounds on the beach.
I'll hear the birds
and waves crashing.
I'll hear children
building a castle
in the sand.

Today I'll try to
smell the beach,
the scent of salt
mixed with suntan oil,
and sandy seaweed
while I'm at the beach.

Today I'll open my mouth
to taste the salt air
on my tongue
when I am at the beach.

Today, I'll feel
happy in the sunshine.
I'll try not to burn
while I'm having fun
running on the beach.


     Today's poem is a list poem.  Can you see how I've used each of the five senses to list what it is like through the senses when I'm at the beach?  Your challenge for today is to take something you like to do--dance, go to the movies, eat pizza, read a book--and write your own list poem using your own senses.  It is through our senses that we experience the world and so when you write using your five senses, the reader can experience your world with you.  Have fun writing today.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joy,
    This is a good exercise for a poem, a story--any writing. Thanks for the suggestion. Hope you get to the beach again soon!

    ReplyDelete