Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

LITTLE SQUIRREL

Little squirrel racing by,
with your tail flying high,
when you dash into your burrow
will I see you run tomorrow?


   I saw a little squirrel race around a creosote bush this morning.  It always surprises me when I see one.  Squirrels in the dessert are ground rodents.  There aren't a lot of trees to climb here.  Our squirrels are about the size of a chipmunk and they burrow in the ground.  
Originally I wrote this poem about the squirrel racing with an acorn in his mouth, but as I read it, I knew that wasn't right.  There aren't any oak trees around here for the squirrels to steal acorns from so I had to re-write the ending to my poem.  And, I've never had a squirrel stealing bird seed from my bird feeder in Tucson because they can't get to the feeder.  There aren't trees to leap from to get to the feeder.  So, what kind of squirrels are there where you live?  Can you write your own squirrel poem today?  Do you know what it means when someone is described as a little squirrely?  Have fun working on your poem today.

1 comment:

  1. Joy,
    You've known squirrels with acorns in their diet and ones without. This reminds me of the commercial for Almond Joy and Mounds candy bars: "Sometimes you feel like and nut and sometimes you don't." Does that take you back? I hope it brought a chuckle.

    ReplyDelete