Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Lunch with the Hummingbirds

I open my yogart
taste a spoonful.
Then whizz, chase
the hummingbirds fly.
WHIR, ZIP,
pause,
take a sip,
rest on a branch,
chirr-rip, chirr-rip.
fluffs feathers,
to cool his skin.
Stares at me
with a tiny eye.
Emerald head,
ruby throat,
saphire wings,
rufous--
these tiny gems
of hummingbirds fly by
making my lunchtime
richer.

     The fun part of taking art classes at the Sonora Desert Museum is that I get to spend my lunch hour looking at animals.  On Monday I ate my lunch in the hummingbird enclosure and had a very enriching time. 
Can you write a poem about your favorite animal?

2 comments:

  1. Joy,
    I liked your description of a hummingbird as a gem and I learned why they fluff their feathers. Great points from a poem about lunch with a special visitor.
    Linda A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't humming birds special? I always feel closer to my mom when I see one. She collected hummingbird figurines and painted hummingbirds on china plates.
    Thanks for leaving a comment.
    JOY

    ReplyDelete