Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Amy Aardvark

For Amy an Aardvark
it was love at first sight
when she saw Archie Ant
on a hot August night.

Before their love
had even begun,
Amy ate Archie
with a zap of her tongue.

She ate his aunts and uncles,
his brothers and sisters,
the old and the young
of Archie's ancestors.
She ate them all, everyone,
with a flap of her tongue.

     This is another poem that stresses an alphabet letter.  It uses a lot of assonance--repetition of vowel sounds.  Can you pick a letter and write your own poem?  You may end up with a tongue twister.  Hmmm?  I wonder if Amy Aardvark is particularly good at that since she has a long tongue she can twist.  Have fun writing.

3 comments:

  1. YOu are having so much fun with these!! YOur poems make me smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Actually, I'm never sure if the idea of being eaten is a good concept for children. This is a fairly violent poem, but it was fun to write. I just feel sorry for Amy Aardvark who's going to have a hard time finding true love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one was so funny. I think kids would find it funny too--not violent.

    Linda A.

    ReplyDelete