Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

FLYING

Said Pilot Tailspin Tim,
"I'm ready to go again.
I think flying is great fun.
Any landing I walk away from
I know it is a good one."


     My father-in-law and I were talking about flying today.  He mentioned the "Any landing you walk away from is a good one."  I'd heard this before, but then he mentioned Tailspin Tim.  I did a search to figure out who said the quote, and what I found is that it is an old flying proverb.  Then I did a search on Tailspin Tim and found a Tailspin Tom who was an old movie serial character.  So, I figured Tailspin Tim was mine to use.  Your challenge for today is to write a poem about flying.


In my hand
I have a surprise.
Good for flying ,
here's the word.
Soft and tickley,
it's the feather
from a bird.

2 comments:

  1. Joy,
    I especially enjoyed this one and learned a little history too. You and your father-in-law have some vert interesting conversations. Treasure each moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do treasure my father-in-law, Linda. He is 91 years old and has some great stories about taking 900 horses to Greece on a boat after WWII, putting labels on bottles of bathtub gin, and working in his father's metal shop. Today I found out that he has never milked a cow--something I've done.
      I'm taking him to the dentist tomorrow. He still has his own teeth. Guess what the poem for tomorrow is about.

      Delete