Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Friday, September 21, 2012

GALAXY

Travel in a space ship
off in the galaxy
you'd be surprised
at the things you will see.

A river of stars
thick like milk,
soft air, and clouds,
and a breeze like silk,

Planets of all sizes
far off in outer space
our galaxy is
and incredible place.


    I couldn't think of what to write for today, so I opened the dictionary to a random page.  I closed my eyes and put my finger down on the page.  The word under my finger was galaxy.  So, here is your challenge for today, take any book, open to a random page and put your finger down.  What is the word your finger lands on?  Can you write a poem about that?  You are welcome to share your poem in the comments below, or just share your word.  If you have trouble writing your poem, remember acrostics, haiku and cinquains.

11 comments:

  1. What a fun prompt - great for kids AND grown-ups to try. Thanks for sharing your "space" today, Joy! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy,
    I love your "river of stars" and "a breeze like silk".

    Cory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cory.
      Are you getting lots a lovely fall photographs?

      Delete
  3. Joy,

    Good idea on how to get going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda.
      Obviously your phrase about "get going" resonated with me. Alliteration will do that. Just look at my poem for SATURDAY.

      Thanks for the inspiration.

      Delete
  4. What a great poem, and a fantastic writing prompt! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fun poem, Joy!

    My word is DOUBT. Hmmm...will have to think about that one, but I like this prompt! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Without a doubt
      I know
      You'll work
      something out.
      When in time
      you write
      your rhyme,
      please share
      with us
      your work
      so fine.

      Hey Renee,
      Thanks for sharing your word DOUBT with us. I thought about "sew" fine--from your embroidery poem. I also tried sublime for the last word, but I like so fine better. Hope you are having a great day.

      Delete