Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, March 21, 2013

GRAPEFRUIT

I had so much fun writing a nonet yesterday, I thought I'd try it again today.  I went to my father-in-law's place yesterday to pick some more grapefruit off his tree.  There was a surprise there for me, something I hadn't expected.


A nonet is a nine line poem with nine syllables in the first line and one less syllable is each following line, until you get to the last line with one syllable.  So all total there are 45 syllables in this poem.  I had to add up the
line totals several times, and in several ways to make sure 45 was the number.  Now, I hope I counted my lines correctly.  If not, please let me know so I can fix it.

The grapefruit tree hangs with yellow suns.
Waxy, white blossoms scent
the air and bees pollinate.
Their buzz fills the branches.
Each healthy round globe,
two juicy halves,
I slice for
breakfast
sweets.


    I love the names of some of the grapefruit, ruby red, Texas pink, Inca gold and Indian river.  When I was young, I thought the taste was sour, but I have discovered that fresh grapefruit is sweet.  Sitting on a grocer's shelf is what makes the taste sour.  Can you try writing your own nonet today?  Or try writing a poem about grapefruit.  Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment