Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

ROBINS

Two robins were looking
for a place for their nest.
They wanted to build
in a spot that was best.

"Shall we build here?"
said one.
"No, here," said the other.

"My dear, tell me where
you will be a mother."

So they found a large oak
and there built their nest.
And with four blue eggs,
 it was time for a rest.

The female sat  the eggs
until they hatched.
And she loved them all,
her broody batch.

She kept them warm
under her wings.
Fed them worms,
taught them to sing.

And when they had feathers,
she gave it a try
Pushed the hatchlings out
and taught them to fly.

     This morning on my walk I saw a hummingbird sitting in the ocotillo.  There was a purple finch in the mesquite just behind.  When I came back from my walk the hummingbird was still sitting there.  I guess I should look for a nest near by.  Your challenge for today is to write a poem about a bird.

2 comments:

  1. Happy to see those spring poems, Joy. I love the "broody batch". Now with daylight savings time I can hear the robins chirp when I wake up, although we had snow just the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I lived in England, broody was the word used anytime I'd stop to chat with a small child in his mother's arms. Like a hen who needs her chicks around her, it is sometimes fun to surround yourself with children.
    Our saguaros are looking like old men. At the top where the new growth of needles is out, it is white and they look like gray haired old men. Soon there will be white flowers and then it will look like the cacti are wearing their Easter bonnets.

    ReplyDelete