Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Saturday, October 6, 2012

JUMPING ROPE

SKIP-ity,
     SKIP-ity,
JUMP roping
     is fun.

I lift up
     my feet
           while counting
                ONE,
two, three,
     O
      O
       P
        S!

Caught my foot.
    Now my turn
    is
    DONE.

SKIP-ity,
     SKIP-ity,
        Now it's
             Your turn
                  To be
                       the one
     J-U-M-P-I-N-G,
and I'll
     turn the rope
          for your
                 J-U-M-P-I-N-G
   rope FUN.




      Happy Saturday.  It is time for a break and I'm thinking about the fun things to during recess.  What do you like to do?  Play jump rope, marbles, jacks?  Dodge ball?  Soccer? Throw bean bags?  Today's challenge is to write a poem about anything you would like to do during recess.

4 comments:

  1. Joy,
    My grandson in second grade helped with this one.

    Skip-ity, skip-ity
    Hop, hop, hop
    Skip-ity, skip
    Till I drop.

    I get back up and
    sing a chant
    Keep the beat--
    No I can't.

    TOO TIRED!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Linda,
    This is delightful, thank you for sharing. What is your grandson's name? We do need to give him proper credit. I really like this addition. What great work. I love the ending.

    JOY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy,
    I asked if he wanted to add his name. He declined. Maybe next time. I did want to tell you that he asked could he write one after this. He wrote about rubbing two scraps of lumber together like sandblocks and called it Music Man. We printed it out for him to take home and I kept a copy on my computer. I was so thrilled that after he finished the first one, he asked if he could write a second one. I believe another writer is budding in the family. Thanks for encouraging kids' creativity. Go JOY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda,
    You have made my day. I will give thanks. I wish I could take credit, but it is a greater power than mine that gives us poetry.
    Enjoy your blessings.
    Thank you and give your grandson an extra hug and tickle for me. I hope someday to meet him and be able to read his poetry. Actually NC Poetry Society and the Poetry Council of NC have categories for poetry by children each year that you might want to check out and see if that is something he'd want to grow toward when he is ready.

    ReplyDelete