Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

WHERE DO YOU WRITE?

I like to write
at the kitchen table.
Sometimes I write
at the dining room table.
My laptop lets me write
at the coffee table
or even an end table.
When the weather is nice
I write from the picnic table
or even a patio table.
But my favorite place to write
is in among the vegetables.


     Can you tell I'm being silly again?  My father-in-law had a stroke and the area affected is his right frontal lobe at his speech center, so I'm thinking about speech in a whole new way.  I've also been super busy too.  Did the storm keep you awake taking care of your house and family?  Maybe you're ready to write a silly poem too.  Use your dictionary, a magazine, or even a newspaper.  Close your eyes and take a stab with your finger.  What word is under your finger?  Do this three times on three different pages.  Now see if you can write an absolutely nonsensical poem that links the three words.  Or what happens if you write the word backward.  I'm thinking about "word" and come up with drow.

Oh dear, I need my mind to settle.  Here I go being silly again.

A black bird
went canoeing
in his row boat.
"This feels renewing,
as long as I float."

With my paddle,
I drow, drow, drow
back and forth
too and fro.


    See how silly.  Do have fun writing your own poem.


No comments:

Post a Comment