Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Your Eyes



Daddy says 
my eyes
are like melted chocolate
like ground cinnamon
like steaming pots of chili
like the soft brown of deer eyes.

He says my eyes
are deep and mysterious
like his and mama's
dark eyes.

So why do I love
your blue eyes?
Blue like clear skies
like a swimming pool
a lake, an ocean.

Deep blue like sapphires,
your eyes sparkle
they shine like dew
on Texas bluebonnets
that bloom in waves for spring.

I love your blue eyes;
they take me away
to distant places.
I wish they were mine.


      What color are your eyes?  Are they like your mom's or dad's eyes?  Think of all the wonderful things your eyes let you see.  Can you write a poem about eyes today?  Or, if you'd like, shut your eyes and then write a poem about the first thing you see when you open your eyes again.  Have fun.

2 comments:

  1. Joy,

    Isn't that how it is--always wishing for what someone else has? I loved your blue flower. Very pretty. Is it a bluebonnet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty flower! And a lovely border, too!

    ReplyDelete