Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, October 9, 2014

SLIDE TROMBONE




Two skeletons stepped 
out on a date.
They liked to dance,
to rattle and shake.  

He was Dave.
She was Joan.
They sure did like
to shake their bones.

Rattle-rattle-shake.
Rattle-rattle-shake.
Shin bone
Thigh bone
Hip bone
Back bone
Neck bone
Jaw bone
Rattle-rattle-shake.
Rattle-rattle-shake.
Dancing to an old trombone.

    Try this.  See skeleton dancing.
   I couldn't write this poem without thinking about my friend, children's poet David L Harrison   He plays a slide trombone and he's pretty good at it.  So here is your challenge for today--if you were putting together a Halloween band, what instruments would you include and what characters would you put in the band? Would you have a vocalist, back up singers?  Have fun playing with this.  (Is there a pun in there?)  Happy Poetry. 
  

11 comments:

  1. Brilliant twist at the end! Cute skeleton poem, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Catherine. Try saying that list of bones as fast as you can.

      Delete
  2. Fun poem, love that trombone at the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you know they start their cars with skeleton keys?
      Glad you liked the trombone, it was a surprise for me. It just jumped out of the blue.

      Delete
  3. I see Halloween is on your mind. Very cute poem. Thanks for sharing it here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosi, earlier this week I made a long list of Halloween words. Now, I'm having fun writing a poem for each word. I hope I can keep this up. SNAKES was one of the words.

      Delete
  4. Nice, Joy. Love the sounds in this poem. Perfect to go with the old trombone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you play the trombone? Now see, if everyone played the trombone we could have a trombone band. If there were 76 of us we could sing 76 trombones.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Yes, Michelle. This is a fun poem to have children (pre-schoolers) dance to.

      Delete
  6. I'll bring my fiddle, and join Dave and Joan, Joy!

    ReplyDelete