Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Friday, October 31, 2014

Seven Ghosts




The Monday ghost is pale and white.
The Tuesday ghost is out of sight.
The Wednesday ghost floats on air.
The Thursday ghost isn't there.

The Friday ghost yells BOO, loud and mean.
The Saturday ghost can't be seen.
The Sunday ghost is a real dandy,
he likes to steal your Halloween candy.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!  So, I reached my goal, a month of Halloween related poems.  I hope you have fun trick-or-treating tonight.  Can you write a color poem today? Think of all the colors that go with Halloween.  Orange pumpkins, yellow moon, red apples. white ghosts, brown leaves.  Now have fun writing about that. 

Today is Poetry Friday and the Roundup is hosted by Linda Baie at Teacher Dance.  Thanks Linda for hosting a great Halloween party.  You'll find lots of great poetry by visiting her blog.

14 comments:

  1. What a fun poem! A whole month of Halloween poems is so festive. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Holly. I didn't set out to write a month's worth, I just made a list of Halloween words and went from there and then I saw the challenge to stretch to a month's worth. It has really been fun. Gosh, I wonder if I'll be able to do it again next year.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I'd better watch out for that Sunday ghost -- candy stealer! Cute idea for a poem. Happy Halloween, Joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Halloween, Jama. Thanks for stopping by. Sure wish I had some gingerbread to offer you. I enjoyed your post.

      Delete
  3. This one is really cute. Really, really like it. ILY cloey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cloey,
      My poem was inspired by a troll poem by Jack Prelutsky.

      Delete
  4. The Sunday ghost must be a parent. LOL! Cute poem, Joy. = )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't tell me you and Joe steal the girls Halloween candy.
      Hope to see you tomorrow, Bridget.

      Delete
  5. Bridget stole my words, those parents! Congratulations on a whole month of poems, Joy. That's terrific. Fun ending poem, too! Don't you think kids would love saying it together? Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Linda. This poem just begs to be3 done with parts.

      Delete
  6. Okay. I did it.

    Yellow moon up in the sky,
    Little black bats flying by,
    Crisp brown leaves piled up high,
    Shiny red apples becoming a pie,
    Pumpkins of orange a gleam in each eye...
    And I, sickly green, too much candy to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna,
      This is great. Excellent execution of the prompt. I love your end line. Great twist at the end.

      Delete
  7. Very cute, Joy. I didn't have to time to comment every day, but I read them all and enjoyed your successful month. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joy,
    The Sunday ghost stole the show according to comments. I was wondering how this idea would look when based on an old nursery rhyme: Monday's child (ghost) is full of woe.Tuesday's child has far to go. Do you recognize it? I hope this gives you a different way to share about your seven ghosts. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete