Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Monday, October 27, 2014

SPIDER ART

Warning:  It's Monday and I'm being a little naughty today.  I'm using one of the favorite words of third grade boys in my poem.  It makes them laugh to say the word.
     I once submitted a poem about our desert storms-- Haboobs, to a publisher.  She wrote back that she couldn't take the poem because teachers didn't need  a group of giggling fourth graders to try to control when the poem had flying boobs in it.
    So if you're concerned about having giggles in your classroom, do not share this poem with a class of elementary students.





SPIDER ART

When spiders fart,
and they sometimes do,
they parachute spinnerets
into the blue.

So if you see a web
of pure elegance,
it might be art
or just flatulence.

   Actually this poem does have the virtue of building vocabulary.  Children can be learn the polite way to refer to flatulence.
   For your poetry challenge for today, can you write your own spider poem?  Have fun writing and I hope you did giggle today.  I'll try to clean up my act for tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to believe that since no one has commented on this poem that I really did push the boundaries. Sorry if I offended. I'll try to control myself in the future.

    ReplyDelete