Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Friday, April 15, 2016

Happy Manticore

For National Poetry Month I've been working with the children at Kapaa Elementary School to write manticore poems.  First we create our own manticore creature.  Here is a Zeaffigken we created.  It has the head of a zebra.  The body of a giraffe, the tail of an iguana, and chicken feet.

Then we tried writing our poem.

THE ZEAFFIGKEN

My zeaffigken is an amazing thing!
With his giraffe neck, you should hear him sing.
And when he runs, he goes right past,
With chicken legs, he's really fast.

     You might have fun making your own manticore poem.  Use at least three different animals for a head, a body and legs or wings.  Name your manticore.  You get to invent a new word for this.  Tells us what your manticore likes to do or eat.  Where does it live?  Have fun drawing your manticore and writing your poem.

Do what you love and everyday will be play.
 


  Today is Poetry Friday and the Poetry Friday Roundup is being hosted by Michelle Heidenrich Barnes on her blog Today's Little Ditty .  You can find more poetry here.  Thank you Michelle for hosting us today.

14 comments:

  1. What a fun project, Joy! I imagine the students are lapping it up. (Hmmm... lapping it up... anteater's tongue, perhaps?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Michelle. Yup, the kids are having fun. They re coming up with the most amazing creatures and their poems are really fun. It is always great to see kids turned on to poetry and their ability to write poems.

      Delete
  2. I imagine the students love doing this, Joy. Wonderful to hear you're working and writing with kids there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The children are so sweet and very creative. They gave me a lei this morning, and of course, I've gotten lots of hugs. And poems, what more could one wish for?

      Delete
  3. Such fun! My first college roommate was from Kapaa. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jama, I think of you often as I'm learning about my new environment. I do love living on Kauai. Irene Latham called me the poet in paradise, and I am. Has spring arrived in your part of the world yet?
      As I was crossing the street to get to Kapaa Elementary School this morning, the crossing guard had me stop and look over my shoulder at the beautiful rainbow behind me. It was a beautiful way to start the morning and my day only got better from there.

      Delete
  4. Lucky kids! Lucky you! How wonderful all around that you're inspiring creativity like this.
    That zeaffigken does indeed look and sound amazing. :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks, Robyn. I always get more than I give when I work with children.

      Delete
  5. So fun that you're playing (doing what you love) in your new home! I bet those students are loving creating their new animals and then writing a poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so. They were smiling and laughing a lot. So way I.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It is the kids. They are the creative ones. What blessings each one is.

      Delete