Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Monday, April 18, 2016

MANTICORE III

   This manticore has the head of a dog.  The body of a pentagon.  Cat feet and tail, and eagle wings.  I couldn't remember how to make a five sided shape, so I drew a five pointed star first, and then connected the points.  Hey, it worked.  I'm not that great an artist, but I'll always give it a try.  Just wait till I share the goat head.  I love how the kids stretch my abilities.  The name we came up with for this manticore was a Do-pen-at-le.

My dopenatle is named Jaxs.
He eats dogfood
with his friends
the dog,
eagle,
and cat.
His body
is a pentagon.
He flies in the air
and soon
is gone.  

   This poem was written with the help of second graders at Kapaa Elementary School in Kauai, Hawaii.  Can you try making your own manticore creature and then writing a poem about it?  Have fun creating.

   A poem and bubblegum have a lot in common.

2 comments:

  1. Which was more fun--creating the poems or being with the kids? Probably a toss up. So glad you got to do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always amazed what the kids come up with when we do this exercise. And yes, I have lots and lots of fun. As I told the teachers at the end of the day, "thank you for letting me come and play with the kids."
      It always seems like a win-win to me, because the kids are learning so much about poetry, language and vocabulary. We get a lot of giggles out of it.

      Delete