Welcome

This is my playground for poetry written for children with ideas and inspiration for writing your own poems. Come on in. Sit for a spell, have a cup of words to swirl around and make your own cup of poetry. I'm so glad you are here. I hope you'll find the Kingdom of Poetry a fun place to be.

Thursday, April 7, 2016

The Sleeping Cat




The sleeping cat
didn't want to play.
She told the lion,
"Go away!"


Some days all you want to do is sleep.  What do you do when you want to sleep, but others want you up and moving?  Can you try writing a poem about sleeping today?
  Hey I just wrote one.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz,
zzzzzzzzzzzz,
zzzzzzzzzz.


  That was supposed to be funny.  Did you get my silly joke?  I don't think I've written a poem about snoring, I'll have to try that, too.  What animal do you think snores the loudest?  Do birds snore?  Have fun writing your poem.

A birdie with a yellow bill
Hopped upon the window-sill,
Cocked his shining eye and said:
'Ain't you 'shamed, you sleepy-head?'  Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894), Time to Rise

4 comments:

  1. Now that is a satisfied-looking feline! Not even a lion could stir him. Hope you have a weekend with lots of R&R....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn, When I wrote my picturebook ms about lion wanting a friend, it turns out that silly cat helped me a lot. She certainly was fun to paint.

      Delete
  2. Love the surprise of the lion being told to go away. Also a big fan of Stevenson's poem and that is one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't own a cat. Haven't since I got married, but it seems to me if you're going to be a cat, you need to have attitude.
      Stevenson had so many good ones.

      Delete